Tuesday, October 12, 2010

October 12 Album Releases


Album releases this week range from indie-favorites to concept cover albums, but only one album this week left me extremely psyched for its release.

Belle and Sebastian is releasing Write About Love this week on Rough Trade Records-- four years after their last release, The Life Pursuit, in 2006. The album opens softly, which may have been why I felt as though my interest was waning quickly. Belle and Sebastian’s sleepy sounding vocals accompanied with light piano on the first track seemed to ring throughout the whole album. However, “I Want the World to Stop” was more upbeat and I found myself easily tapping my foot. While it may be because Belle and Sebastian are simply not my preferred taste, the album was just mediocre to me.

Another indie-veteran Sufjan Stevens released The Age of Adz this week on Asthmatic Kitty Records. The album is Stevens’ first full-length release since Illinois five years ago. It was definitely my least favorite of the releases. Despite my having an extensive collection of Sufjan Stevens albums in my library, I’ve never been able to get into his tunes. His voice always fails to move me and particularly on this album, he doesn’t seem to have any emotion behind it at all. The electronics felt overdone and the choral accompaniments in the background felt like too much.

I was surprised to see that Less Than Jake was releasing TV/EP. Less Than Jake was a favorite back in our high school ska scene; however, I didn’t even know they were still together making music now. In TV/EP, Less Than Jake covers popular TV sitcom theme songs and commercials. The EP, which is a little over 11 minutes long, is best listened to while viewing the commercials and songs via video on their website. It was an awesome throwback hearing those familiar childhood tunes from the ‘80s and ‘90s and hilarious to see the commercials with the punk versions of the songs dubbed over. They used lots of horns and had their classic punk-ska sound: loud, energetic and silly. Some of my favorites included the Hungry, Hungry Hippos song, the McDonald's Big Mac song from 1984 (below), and the Different Strokes theme song. I don’t think I could listen to the album on a regular basis, but it was really awesome to hear their renditions of the songs along with the old videos.





Finally, Cleveland-based Cloud Nothings just released their first full-length album Turning On with Carpark Records. I’ve been meaning to see Cloud Nothings for so long, being a Cleveland native myself and hearing positive buzz about them around town. The buzz didn’t do them justice though; Turning On was the one album this week I could not stop listening to. It’s dark, catchy and upbeat and reminds me a bit of The Whigs, but a little more raw. “Hey Cool Kid” seems to be the first single and it’s a perfect pick. The recently released video (below) is eerie and matches the dark and creepy vibe of the song. The band would fit in great with the Athens music scene and I can totally picture them playing a packed show at the Union.




Some other notable album releases this week include Badly Drawn Boy with Part 1–Photographing Snowflakes, Lil Wayne with I Am Not A Human Being, and You, Me, And Everyone We Know with Some Things Don’t Wash Out.

--Melissa Burant, Editorial Copy Chief and PR Director

No comments:

Post a Comment