Sunday, October 30, 2011

November 1 Releases, 2011

By: Cassie Whitt, Blogs Editor

In this installment of ACRN's Drop It Like It's Hot, blogs editor Cassie will check out some things she's never given a chance in the past.

First on the testing table is Hit The Lights: a band known in my mind as one of the "highlighter generation." One whose fans could be found in neon-splattered clothes scrawled with large, block lettering journeying across Warped Tour parking lots over the past couple years.

Some would argue that my propensity toward black drives me away from such bands, but I argue this: These newer pop-punk bands, for me, offer nothing that is actually new. I can point to examples in the past which they echo, and I just can't get into a re-hashing of the same thing that I liked and perceived as better then.

Perhaps, if I hadn't grown up with bands like The Starting Line and Brand New (circa 2001), I could have a better appreciation for something like Hit The Lights' new EP, Invicta.

Still, it was not an unpleasant listen and I'm glad I gave it a chance. It has everything a good pop-punk EP should have: catchy choruses, a higher-than-usual male vocal, a couple mellow breakdowns and sing-along quality.

I may give Hit The Lights more chances after getting a taste through the Invicta EP.

The second chance I gave this week was to The Decemberists, because I know they hold a special place in editorial director Kevin Rutherford's heart. This week, they release Long Live The King, yet another EP, this one of b-sides from The King Is Dead, which came out earlier this year.

Immediately, I was struck by the title of the first track: "E. Watson." I could only hope it meant beloved Hermione Granger actress and fashionista Emma Watson. My hopes were naïve, I suppose.

The Decemberists reak of PBR, teardrops in dirty beards, slow-motion civil war reenactments and mountainsides: a strangely comforting combination. I get the appeal, but I don't want it for myself. I just wouldn't mind being surrounded by it from time to time when I need a nap.

Chance three of the week goes to Girl in a Coma because they are on Blackheart Records, so I assume they have to be at least a little bad-ass. Exits And All The Rest is a tad on the sleepy side for me, though more up-beat than the aforementioned EP.

The album, with its old-fashioned feeling and smooth alto lady vocals, does nothing remarkable for me. It just kind of makes me want to start a rad, more exciting band of my own here in Athens.

Who's down?

No comments:

Post a Comment