Tuesday, February 12, 2013

February 12 Releases, 2013


By: Rachel Haas, Reviews Editor

Hey, guys! Hey! It’s Valentine’s Day this week! Hey! Ugh…

Yep, it’s Valentine’s Day this Thursday and, if you’re anything like me, Thursday is going to be just another day albeit slightly more pink, frilly and mushy-gushy. But at least one can retreat into the deep abyss of newly released music right?

Eh, debatable. 

While there were some rad releases, there wasn’t much for the casual listener. There weren’t any major name releases, but some of the smaller ones I could really get behind. So, here we go.

First up to bat is Veronica Falls. Now, I had never heard of this band before now and, I have to say, I’m pretty bummed out about that. The band is mostly pop with West Coast, laid-back sunny reverb that makes for something pretty damn irresistible. None of the tracks off Waiting for Something to Happen are that long—just enough of a sample to leave listeners satisfied. It makes me think of summer, first love and a simpler time. You can’t really argue with that.

Matt Costa also dropped a self-titled album that’s typical singer-songwriter feel-good vibes. It’s cutesy, it’s catchy and it’s pretty accessible. Anybody who likes soft, indie-pop music will probably like this. It’s got a sprinkle of strings and adorable tinges of sweet, innocent romance—you know, just in time for V-Day if you’re into that sort of thing.
English group Foals also gave listeners Holy Fire, perhaps hoping to gives fans some sort of religious experience. I’m not sure if it’s some sort of epiphany, but I definitely get some shivers during some points on the album. I don’t know what to make of this band quite yet or really how to describe them. They’re just a good time. Well, Spotify did describe their sound as “jittery,” and I’d be inclined to agree. They are jittery, but in a good way. I would so get up and jitter around to their tunes…if I actually knew what that consisted of.

Oh, and before you start hatin’, LL Cool J’s album was pushed back to May 7th. Otherwise, you best believe he’d be all over this post. Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment