Thursday, September 19, 2013

September 17 Releases, 2013

By Rachel Haas, Managing Editor

For me, this week is kind of an exciting week for music. Not only is MGMT’s self-titled third release finally coming out, but Mr. VanWyngarden and Mr. Goldwasser are accompanied by Nick Thorburn’s Islands, Grouplove and a band that I interviewed over the summer, Royal Bangs.

Like I said, you should start getting a little pumped.

Connecticut’s psychedelic rock duo is back with MGMT, an album that seemed to be pushed back for, like, ever. The follow-up to 2010’s Congratulations has been steadily building up buzz with the band's usual vague interviews and oddly wonderful musings. More recently, they put out the album’s first single, “Alien Days,” with live appearances on late-night TV not far behind. Many MGMT fans were disappointed with the outfit’s last release since, you know, the band didn’t have a thousand carbon copies of “Kids” and “Electric Feel.” Judging by “Alien Days,” don’t expect VanWynGarden and Goldwasser to return to the realms of Oracular Spectacular just yet.

Congratulations grew on me after a few listens, and I learned to love it like I love Oracular. I have no doubt that even if MGMT’s album is another deviation of their sound and skills, it’ll be hella fun, and I am so stoked.

OK, now that I’m done fangirling over that, let’s move on to Islands. Last year (Feb. 14, to be exact), former-Unicorn Nicholas Thorburn dropped A Sleep & A Forgetting. Thorburn told us that album was “centered more on life and things that happen while you are alive. It's kind of a dark sort of outlook on how life really is,” and the product of a very personal breakup. This time around, the singer says the band's upcoming release Ski Mask is all about being angry. After listening to the single “Becoming the Gunship,” I can’t wait to see where Thorburn’s anger takes him.

Grouplove makes some really top-notch catchy dance hits that are part of the handful of songs I actually don’t hate when the band comes on the radio. “Colours,” “Tongue Tied” and “Itchin’ on a Photograph” were so much fun and these guys put on one ultra-fun live show. I have a fondness for them in my soul, and my fingers are crossed for some more sing-alongs.

And finally, Brass is also set to drop courtesy of Knoxville, Tenn. band Royal Bangs, a rock outfit discovered by The Black Keys’ Pat Carney and formerly signed to Audio Eagle Records. They’re fun.

Oh, and a shout-out to Elton John. You little tiny wonderful dancer, you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment